By request, here is a link to the team video that debuted at our awards banquet October 29, 2018. Please let me know if you have problems accessing the link.
Captains practices take place Monday-Friday from 8-10AM. Meet at the JM bike rack by the visitor parking lot. This is a great way to meet members of the team and prepare for the upcoming season. Building a solid base of mileage is important and running with others is the easiest and funnest way to get this done. New and experience runners are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Peter Dahlen, Nick Wiest, Garrett Eick, Kyle Day, Joel Glascock
Link to google doc for captain practice workout plan and information:https://docs.google.com/document/d/10gXLUXRVzUXtO_UkCDGxrNRCPkyA5NCPEMC46tRqfOE/edit
Registration for cross country is open from July 1 - August 10.
Registration is completed online by visiting the following link: Online Registration
An MSHSL physical form needs to be on file in the Athletic/Activities Office BEFORE you can register online. Here is the link for the physical form: Physical Form
IF your physical expires between August 17th and November 28th, a form needs to be on file for Fall Registration. Physicals are good for 3 years.
Your physical date can be found by visiting your Syward account and gong to Report Card & Portfolio.
If you get a physical in the months of June and July and want to register, you will need to email your physical to Kim Griffin firstname.lastname@example.org. She will then email you back saying you are ready to register online.
Finally, a participation fee of $155 is required to complete the registration.
WELCOME If you are new to JM Cross Country, here is a brief outline of what to expect during your first season:
1. Our cross country program does not hold try-outs to make the team. All boys in grades 7-12 are welcome to join. The more the merrier, so encourage your friends to join also. (See Fall Sports Registration above).
2. Here is how we expect you to progress through our program:
Year One - Just figure it out. What are practices like? What should I wear? How do I prepare for a meet? How do I get excused to compete in a meet? How do I figure out the course at a meet? How should I run in a meet? What is a split, a negative split, PR, and other terms used? How long does a meet last and when will I get home? When is my best time to study? Just have fun and set yourself up for...
Year Two - Now you are pretty good. You figured out all the small details and can focus on improving. We basically run the same courses each year, so you will know what to expect. Experiment with different race strategies and finish stronger. Help the newer runners and have fun, because now you are ready for...
Year Three and Beyond - Now you are great! You know what you need to do to improve and go after it. Practices are more focused and your confidence has increased. You have high expectations and lead by example. Ideas of runining varsity or being a captain are seen as attainable.
3. To ease into running and build a solid aerobic base, attend captain's practices held Monday-Friday from 8-10AM (see above). Simply show up, introduce yourself, and you are set to go. If you can't attend, get some running in before the season begins. If you need help contact Coach Sonnabend or Coach Feda.
4. When the season begins, practices will take place Monday-Friday from 3:30-5:30. Meet in front of the gym doors. Practices are usually done by 5:00, but can go a bit longer depending on the workout. We do practice on Saturday. This is our long run day that meets at 8AM. Locations vary and may include sites away from JM such as area parks.
5. We do have high expectations for all team members. Attendance at all practices is critical to your success. All absences are considered unexcused unless it is for a medical issue or family emergency. Upon six absences, you may not compete in the conference or section meet. This includes Saturdays.
6. Spikes are not required, but highly encouraged. Terra Loco, Running Room, and Rogan's Shoes all sell quality shoes. If you tell them you are with JM Cross Country you will receive a 10% discount. Also, make sure you have running shoes in decent shape for daily practices.
7. We practice and compete in all types of weather. Be prepared for weather changes by having sweats, a hat, gloves, and rain gear just in case. We do have access to the varsity lockeroom, but be sure to bring your own lock.
8. All communications are through this website and text messages. The coaches will ensure you get important team information and are aware of upcoming events.
9. Have fun and we look forward to following your progress.
Athletes must purchase a uniform in order to participate in scheduled competitions. Uniforms are priced affordable and can be worn multiple seasons. They may also be worn if participating in track & field.
LINK to order uniforms and spirit wear COMING SOON
Stay up to date on team news by subscribing to our team text message service provided by Remind. Get instant messages concerning upcoming meets, bus times, return times, practice information, schedule changes, and more. Simply click the link below to get started:
**Contacts are deleted at the end of each season. If you signed up for text messages in the past, please update your account at remind.com to receive messages for the 2020 season.
A Pasta Feed is a team gathering held the day before our meets. Each pasta feed is sponsored by a group of parents and held at one of their homes. These events are a great way for teammates to socialize in a setting away from practice and also for parents to meet the team up close. If you would like to host or help with a pasta feed, please sign-up via the link below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Coach Sonnabend or Coach Feda through the Coaches page.
LINK COMING SOON